THE BIG BLIND - a fairytale for grown-upsperformance storytelling by Dominic Kelly, with music by Bridget Marsden & Leif Ottosson
A boy stands on a lakeshore. Behind him is all he’s ever known. Ahead is a chance for love but a much higher chance of death. He’s had a happy life and a sheltered one. But his father has gambled away everything and the debt cannot be paid in money...
Dominic Kelly, Bridget Marsden & Leif Ottosson, weave together versions of an ancient fairytale from Norway, Scotland, Ireland and India into a playful and gripping musical performance, and ask what the consequences are for the young when older generations fail to make adult decisions.
'…Makes you sparkle from the inside out' ONE AND OTHER
'A bewitching fusion of storytelling and music that takes theatre right back to its origins' A YOUNGER THEATRE
Suitable for adults (children 12+)
In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door....
One of Dorset's best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200 seater theatre - lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks. They come to listen to stories, told by the UK's finest contemporary performance storytellers. This off-beat, little known venue is a magical cinema of the imagination.
Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns to the doors of the Earthouse.
GOOD TO KNOW...
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are unsuitable for under 12s (unless otherwise stated). Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- Refunds are not available.