TALES OF OLD TORRY
We begin at the foot of Sinclair Road, near the heart of the old fisher village, once an independent royal burgh, now a forgotten suburb, come and learn the stories and history of the former Kincardineshire settlement, which finally became part of Aberdeen City in 1891.
Including, Torry's early times as property of the Abbot of Arbroath, the lost fisher village, which suffered demolition twice, once in the 1870s as a result of the Dee's reroute, and once in 1971, when the oil industry swept all before it. There's the sad story of the sinking of the Oscar, the superstitions of the fisherfolk who defied the kirk to carry out old rituals, and the development of Victoria Road following the herring boom.
Meet at the junction of Baxter Street and Sinclair Road, on the corner of the old Torry Bar.
Ends: Victoria Bridge
Duration: approx 2.25hrs
Not suitable for those with mobility problems as this is a strenuous walk.
Not suitable for children or pushchairs