FORGOTTEN FITTIE: FROM THE KIRKTOUN TO THE FISHER SQUARES

St Clements Church, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB11 5EW
Wed 20th May 2015
Beginning at St Clement’s Kirk, the old Parish Church of Fittie, (Fittie, never Footdee, an over-correction of the old Celtic word for a sheepfold) we take a walk through the forgotten areas now dominated by the harbour precinct. Learn about the origins of Aberdeen’s most ancient fishing community, dating back to the 12th century when the fishers of Pockraw were the tenants of the Bishops of Old Aberdeen and looking into its rebirth as the city’s first Victorian council estate, and home to the city’s most famous shipyard, Hall Russell’s. And then on to the famous Fisher Squares, built 1807-09, designed by city architect, John Smith (aka Tudor Johnny). Start: St Clement’s Church, Church Street /St Clement’s Street, Fittie End: Pocra Quay Begins: 7.30pm Duration: Approx. 2 hours
Google map static shot of St Clements Church, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB11 5EW
Share this event