N.B: 8pm start-time & 70min show with no intervalTickets available by phone: 01202 888 992
BEOWULF!performance storytelling by Jesper la Cour and Troels Kirk Ejsing : The Telling Theatre
Imagine how you would feel if you where the King of Denmark in the 7th century with gold, glory and a big reputation.... but your only problem was a 500 pound ugly and fetid troll, named Grendel, killing your men at random.
Maybe you would call it a true nightmare, but 1300 years later, storytellers call it the magnificent beginning of a great story. Daniash storyteller, Jesper la Cour and Troels Kirk Ejsing, bring their physical, vital and comedic version of Beowulf to the Earthouse. Sitting face to face across the Viking ship, the distance between the action and the audience is minimal. This is a prize performance of an ancient story that's not to be missed.Duration: 70mins (no interval)Please note that capacity for this event is smaller than usualSuitable for adults
In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door....
One of Dorset's best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200 seater theatre - lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks. They come to listen to stories, told by the UK's finest contemporary performance storytellers. This off-beat, little known venue is a magical cinema of the imagination.
Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns to the doors of the Earthouse.
GOOD TO KNOW...
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are unsuitable for under 12s (unless otherwise stated). Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- Refunds are not available.