Fairytales for Grown-ups - MELUSINE
MELUSINEperformance storytelling by TUUP
with music by Transglobal Underground's Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan
Enter a world of supernatural beasts, power, jealousy & transformation.
It is said that the Norman kings of England claimed to be descended in-part from demons, from angels, and from a fishtailed creature named Melusine: a creator of peace and of conflict, a builder of cities, a vengeful daughter and a wronged wife - a legendary figure who the kings would credit for their achievements and blame for their viciousness.
World renowned storyteller TUUP, joins forces with regular collaborators from the band Transglobal Underground, Hamid ManTu and Tim Whelan, to bring these wild medieval legends into focus for a new world.
Combining story, music, unpredictable instrumentation & contemporary technology, journey with them through a landscape that is as much science-fiction as it is fairytale.
Suitable for adults (children 14+)
In a field on the outskirts of Cranborne village, there is a hill, and it has a door....
One of Dorset's best kept secrets, the Earthouse is a 200 seater theatre - lit by lamplight and fire-light. Here audiences sit on wooden benches, under an earth roof, held up by 21 huge oak tree trunks. They come to listen to stories, told by the UK's finest contemporary performance storytellers. This off-beat, little known venue is a magical cinema of the imagination.
Turn off Damerham Road into Cranborne Middle School. Parking is in the school car-park. Walk up the road from the car-park to the Ancient Technology Centre, and follow the lane and then the twinkly lights and the candle lanterns to the doors of the Earthouse.
GOOD TO KNOW...
- Wrap up warm, bring a cushion & wear sensible shoes! A torch might also come in handy!
- There is no bar on site, and we don’t have a license to sell you alcohol – but we’ll supply something nice instead.
- We open the site at 6pm and the doors of the Earthouse at 7pm. In summer, please feel free to come from 6pm and sit in the sun – you can even bring a picnic (just don’t munch food while the show is on).
- If the show is listed as ‘sold out’ then it really is sold out.
- We have toilets!
- Wheelchair users can drive up to the venue, but please let us know in advance if you’ll need to do this. You can call the ATC on 01725 517 618.
- Shows are unsuitable for under 12s (unless otherwise stated). Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
- We sometimes have (official) photographers discreetly taking pictures at these events – if you don’t want to be in these pictures, then please let a member of staff know.
- The ATC is a no smoking site.
- No dogs are allowed on site – we have some ancient breeds of sheep who live here, and they wouldn’t appreciate the company!
- Refunds are not available.
From 7:30PM to 10:00PM
Cranborne Earthouse, Dorset, BH21 5RP