Cinematic Inclusions: Part I
– Documentary Traditions in Lithuanian Cinema
Friday 8th of March, 2019, 7pm
- Cheer up, Virginijus!, Dir: Viktoras Starošas, 1962, 21 min, USSR
- The Old Man and the Land, Dir: Robertas Verba, 1965, 20 min, USSR
- We Were At Our Own Field, Dir: Henrikas Šablevičius, 1988, 20 min, USSR
- Illusions, Dir: Kornelijus Matuzevičius, 1993, 20 min, Lithuania
Newly digitised and restored Lithuanian documentary films, followed by Q&A.
Due to political circumstances, Lithuanian documentary film was developed and formed under the influence of the Soviet Union rather than the Western world. Documentary filmmaking holds a special place in the history of Lithuanian cinema, for it reflects the continuous search for the cinematic aesthetics, capturing the changing identity of the society of its time.