Cinematic Inclusions: Part II
– Experiments in Lithuanian Documentary Cinema
Saturday 9th of March, 2019, 7pm
- Reflections, dir: Henrikas Šablevičius, 1968, 15 min
- Off Gauge Temperature, dir: Almantas Grikevičius, 1973, 10 min
- Earth of the Blind, dir: Audrius Stonys, 1992, 24 min
- The Black Box, dir: Algimantas Maceina, 1994, 38 min
Newly digitised and restored Lithuanian experimental documentary films, followed by Q&A. Systematic control and censorship of the Soviet Union meant that the importance in storytelling was placed on visual language and poetic filmmaking, instead of critically documenting reality of marginalized characters or recording peripheral landscapes, which could have potentially criticized the Soviet establishment.